Children’s Practice Development Manager
Lucy joined SCIE in 2016 to lead on the children’s portfolio. She is spearheading the national Department of Health Project which improves mental health support for children in care and is a lead on faith based training and consultancy. Lucy has worked both on the front line and in senior management, over the last fifteen years in children’s social care and youth sector. She began her career as a movement worker for two years with Hanoar Hatzoni and several years volunteering for Limmud where she developed their child protection and safeguarding policy, in addition to training volunteers working with children and young people. The key tenant to all these roles has been her capacity to negotiate and communicate with a range of stakeholders and treating clients with both dignity and respect. Lucy has a particular interest in working with faith communities, safeguarding and mental health.
Recent projects Lucy has led on:
- Delivering co-produced learning and workshops to over 200 children’s homes including CEO’s, front line staff and senior management.
- Managing the children’s rights team for children in care at Southwark Council
- Spearheading and delivering research projects on child sexual exploitation, neglect and children missing in care for Southwark Safeguarding Board. This included interviewing over a 100 children in care and care leavers.
- Training newly qualified social workers, ASYE’s and commissioning teams on children’s rights, the identity of children in care and emotional wellbeing.
- Lead office on disability, children in care and BME communities at NSCPCC
Qualifications and training
- MA Child Studies, School of Law, Kings College
- Young Person’s Violence Advisor, CAADA
- Southwark Child Sexual Exploitation
- NSPCC Project Management
- NSPCC Child Protection and Safeguarding
- Health and Safety CPD, Camden
- Writing with Symbols, WIDGIT
- NCB Equality and Diversity
- NCB SEN Communication
- BA JH English and Politics, Leeds University